Monday, July 23, 2012

Book Treasures Galore and More...part 3

So, who hasn't been school shopping yet? Said no teacher ever...lol...well, it happened to me...I got not only the shopping bug, but the fever as well! I don't know about you, but I might need to go back to school to keep me from spending! If you're like me, you can't help it, a bargain is a bargain...

The last of my book orders arrived and here's what I have to share with you:

The Cafe Book, Fifty Shades FreedPeace Week in Miss Fox's Class by Eileen Spinelli is about getting your students to be mindful about how they are supposed to get along with everyone else...wouldn't it be great if it carried over to their home as well? It will be good to use to build classroom community and start discussions about the what they did and how they did it when faced with conflict. I'll be waiting for the sequel, Peace Month and Peace School Year...

The CAFE Book: Engaging All Students in Daily Literary Assessment and Instruction by "The Sisters"...Gail Boushey and Joan Moser. After participating in The Daily 5 book study this summer, I am ready to sink my teeth into The Cafe Book. Thus far, it's unread...anyone hosting a book study?

Fifty Shades Freed: Book Three of the Fifty Shades Trilogy by E.L. James. This is the third book in the 50 Shades trilogy...I'm still on book 2...I think you know what it's all about...

The Worst Day of My Life Ever! by Julia Cook is about poor RJ who just can't seem to make a right decision due to his inability to listen closely or follow directions...sound familiar? After a heart-to-heart with mom, RJ gets explicit how-to's on ways to "really listen" and "follow directions" which makes his next day the best day ever!

You Get What You GetMiss Fox's Class Goes Green also by Eileen Spinelli is about teaching our students how they can actively participate to keep our earth healthy. This would be great to reread on Earth Day.

You Get What You Get by Julie Gassman...a perfect book to go along with one of our favorite phrases, "you get what you get and you don't throw a fit!"This is about Melvin who lets his teacher's classroom rule slip out and is forced to abide by it at home, too.

My Favorite Things, All About My TripAnd, here's some adorable student packs I found at my local Dollar Tree store: If I Were President, My Favorite Things, and All About My Trip. Now, I know I could make these and add some cute clip art...but these are pretty cute and were only a $1 for the pack...so worth the time it saved me!

Now for the treat...here's a Blueberry Crisp recipe that I found in the May issue of People...see, you get valuable fashion advice, celebrity gossip, and recipes...

Here's the recipe...I actually only had one pint of blueberries, so I cut the recipe in thirds and it turned out great!

Blueberry Crisp (serves 8)

for the filling:
6 cups (3 pints) fresh blueberries
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp. cornstarch
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
1/4 tsp. coarse salt

for the topping:
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
1/2 cup chopped nuts, such as almonds
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
6 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
1/3 cup sugar

1. Preheat oven to 375°. Make the filling: mix blueberries, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice and salt in a bowl. Transfer to a 8-in. square baking dish.

2. Make the topping: in a medium bowl, stir together flour, oats, nuts, baking powder and salt. With an electric mixer on medium speed, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Stir flour mixture into butter. Using your hands, squeeze topping pieces together to form clumps. When I made this, I read "make the topping" and stopped reading and mixed all the ingredients together without using a mixer...and it turned out fine...up to you :)

3. Sprinkle topping evenly over filling. Bake until filling is bubbling in the center and topping is golden brown, about 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool 30 minutes before serving.

Let me know how it turns out...

What are your latest book / recipe finds? Thanks for stopping by :)

Check out my other book finds and a smoothie recipe here and even more book ideas and a lemonade recipe here.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely want that recipe! It looks DELICIOUS! You also found some great books & I love those supplies from Dollar Tree! I'm going to have to stop by my local store!

    Sara
    Miss V's Busy Bees
    I'm having a 2-0-0 Follower Giveaway - come on by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sara...I added the recipe above :) It was nice having something yummy to snack on over several days...besides chocolate! I just l-o-v-e new-to-me books! Dollar Tree is one of my fav places to find goodies...Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Oh I love the 50 Shades Trilogy! Enjoy book 3. I loved it so much that I think I'm going to reread them. That blueberry crisp looks so delicious!! :)
    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lisa. I've heard that from several gals who have read the whole series...I added the recipe above if you're interested in making it...I think it would be a great dish to bring to faculty potlucks...easy to make and pretty :) Thanks for coming by!

      Delete