Tuesday, June 26, 2012

My Book Shopping Spree and a Smoothie...part 2

I know I am not alone in my book obsession...ask my kiddos...ask my boyfriend...you can even ask my mom. I have seen many a picture of me with that-half-eyes-closed look of surprise as my mom would call my name whilst my nose was buried in a book...and FLASH...another picture for the ol' family album. Where is Oprah when you need her?

Here are my latest treasures that arrived in the mail...I hope you like 'em as much as I do...

have you filled a bucket today, 50 Shades darker

In Pictures and In Words: Teaching the Qualities of Good Writing Through Illustration Study by Katie Wood Ray. Oh.my.word...let me tell you, in just six, short, easy-to-read chapters, Katie (we're on a first name basis) has changed my views about the importance of children's illustrations in creating books. You can read more about that in my book study.

The Busy Beaver by Nicholas Oldland. This is a cute story about a very busy beaver who learns the importance of impulse control. After some mishaps and some reflection, he uses kind actions and the words "I'm sorry" to make amends with his friends.

Fifty Shades Darker (Fifty Shades, Book 2) by E.L. James. This book is for my guilty pleasure. Need I say more?

Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud. To be perfectly honest, I'm new to the whole bucket-filling concept, but I will be reading Conscious Discipline: 7 Basic Skills for Brain Smart Classroom Management over the summer and into the school year. I'm all for books that inspire my students to be kind and respectful to others. For more resources, check out Bucket Fillers. If you want to check out my other recent book finds and a lemonade recipe, you can get that here.

And here's a little something sweet and healthy to leave you with to enjoy over the dog days of summer...

Strawberry-Banana Smoothie
1 ripe banana
5-6 strawberries
1 tbsp flax or chia seeds
1 tbsp honey or agave
1 cup ice

Combine all ingredients in a blender until desired consistency. You can also substitute your favorite fruits (raspberries, blueberries, peaches) for the strawberries. Another tip: freeze your bananas so that they'll keep longer.

What are some recently discovered books that you just love? What are some of your ol' favorites? What's on your wish list? I'd love for you to share your favorite summer drink...and the recipe :)

Oh, and look what's coming this Saturday...

blog swap and hop

My blog will feature a blogger friend of mine, Hojo, from Hojo's Teaching Adventures...and you can find me...and a new freebie...at Melissa's blog, Transitional Kinder with Mrs. O. See you Saturday!!

6 comments:

  1. Loved your post! You are not alone in your book obsession! I even started collecting for my daughter who just graduated this May and is embarking on her first year come August! However, what made me giggle the most was your admitance to your guilty pleasure!!! I just finished book 1 and wasn't sure if I needed to read 2 & 3 (same ol' stuff?) How much more do I need to know? I admit though, it was fun to know what everyone else was talking about, but unless there's more to it- I'm ready for something else. Thanks for the collaborations with the bloggers, being a newbie, this has been a great summer project!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Mrs. P! Tell your daughter congrats! I think back with a little sadness about my first year. It went by in such a whirlwind - learning the curriculum, getting to know your colleagues, figuring out all the ins and outs of working in a school, finding out how to get to know your students...I know you're one proud momma!

      Ahhh, my guilty pleasure...well, I'm only two chapters into Book 2 (my 3-day Literacy Conference has interfered with my reading), but I had to find out what would happen with Ana and Christian after how it ended in Book 1...

      I have learned so much these last few months in the blogging world. These book studies have been the icing on the cake this summer! I feel that I've grown as a teacher with the online collaboration as well :)

      Thanks so much for stopping by and taking the time to comment!

      Monica

      Delete
  2. Hi there. I just awarded you the Versatile Blogger Award. Stop by my blog to see what you have to do to redeem :)

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life
    Versatile Blog Award Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Heidi. Thank you sooo much! How sweet of you :) Thanks for stopping by!

      Monica

      Delete
  3. Hi..just came across you blog form someone's linky...I am obsessed with books too. I think I have already spent close to my supply budget for next year on new books for my classroom. Hop on over to my blog and take a look!

    Thanks....Patti

    http://talesfroma4thand5thgradeteacher.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Patti. I know what you mean, I can't pass a bookstore without going in and looking around. I'm having to get pretty creative to find ways to house all the books in my classroom :) I'm glad you stopped by!

      Monica

      Delete