Friday, June 22, 2012

In Pictures and In Words Book Study Ch.1-6

Hi, and welcome to the In Pictures and In Words book study hosted by Deedee from Mrs. Wills Kindergarten.
by Katie Wood Ray
I know what you're saying, another book study?! Well, I have to admit, after being out of grad school for a year, I miss it!! Well, maybe not the hours upon hours of graduate work, but the professional resources and children's literature that I had to read in order to complete my coursework. So, this is the next best thing (without driving my boyfriend completely craazzyyy).

This first part of the book (section 1) covered chapters 1-6, so I'll give you an overview of my thoughts (in part based on Deedee's guiding questions). I was surprised at the level of thought that the kindergarten students were able to put into their illustrations as depicted in the book. Wow! I feel like it was eye-opening for me. I know I did not give enough emphasis to my students' illustrations as I did their writing. But, that's all about to change :)

How might you explain to students that illustrating is composing?
What stood out for me was this quote from Chapter 1, "If teachers are willing to make a composing connection and show children how an illustrator's decisions about pictures are a lot like a writer's decisions about words, she forms a bridge of understanding that nurtures children as both illustrators and writers." I could end right there, but I won't...

My thoughts were to have my students start their writing workshop, then after about 5-10 minutes of planning, have them stop and share their illustrations (thus far). This will help them to tell their story before they even start writing. So, hopefully they'll take as much consideration in their word choice as do their pictures. Also, during reflection, I would have share time for good illustrations, not just great stories.

How might your attitude towards writing affect your students' willingness to write?
I think teacher attitude affects all content areas. Students feed off your excitement and consequently, lack of enthusiasm. Children need to see the purpose of their writing, not just as a task that needs to be done.

How might you help students build stamina in their writing?
We work hard on building our stamina due to our use of The Daily 5. So, this naturally carries over into our writing. I know I need to spend more time listening to my students tell me about their pictures and not make the illustrations just a means to get to an end (the story).

What language might you use with your students to talk about reading like a writer, both as a writer of words and pictures?
I will have to model the "habit of mind" for my students. We will discuss getting into the illustrator's head to notice why they think the author made a particular decision about a picture. And, to point out that when they are illustrating their own stories, what do they want their readers to "see"? Also, it is important to link the idea to a new topic, so they don't think the illustrator's decision to zoom in on something is only for nature, it could be for a trip to the store, too. I would emphasize that like their words, pictures make meaning.

Name several books you would gather for your classroom's units of study on illustration.
Here are my book suggestions:

by Steve Jenkins

by Istvan Banyai

by Alexandra Day

by Alan Zweibel
by Pat Lowery Collins

I welcome your comments, questions, and suggestions :)

Please join me again next week on the 29th at Mrs. Wills Kindergarten for Chapter 7: Ideas and Content.

Thanks for stopping by to visit!



16 comments:

  1. Yay!!! Thank you for linking up! I love Steve Jenkins's books too! I have not heard of Zoom! I am excited to check it out!

    Mrs. Wills Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Deedee! Thank you so much for hosting such a wonderful resource. I feel like it's changed my perspective on teaching about illustrations so much already.

      Monica

      Delete
  2. Zoom will be a perfect book to show the importance of illustrations and also to teach several science concepts. We used it during our 5 senses and also to really depict how things look bigger close up and smaller as they get farther away. It is a great book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, my kids were always fascinated with Zoom, but I don't think I used it to its greatest potential. But now, I have a greater appreciation of the illustrator's decisions. I'm glad you stopped by!

      Monica

      Delete
  3. Thank you for such wonderful book suggestions. The only one I know from this list is Carl. The rest are going on my list to find at the library next week! I can't wait!!
    Jenny

    Owl Things First

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jenny. I love finding new books, too!! I keep telling my class that we need to get our own house, so that we can have a room just for our books! Thank you for stopping by!

      Monica

      Delete
  4. Oh my gosh, I need to win the lottery to buy all these great books that are being suggested!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sandi! I know what you mean...I already spent over $100 this past month on books. But, I love-love it when my kiddos actually clap after listening to a great book! I'm glad you came by :)

      Monica

      Delete
  5. Love your cute site!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog this weekend! I'm your newest follower! :-)
    Michelle
    nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Michelle. I'm glad you found me :)

      Monica

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing! Can't wait to check out those books. Stop by my blog and let me know what you think!
    Carole Dawn
    www.kindergartencafeteria.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Carole! I'm glad you joined the book study! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Monica

      Delete
  7. Oh I love Carl books - completely forgot about those!! Loved your post and can't wait to read more!

    jeannie
    Kindergarten Lifestyle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Jeannie. Carl books are great for discussions with your students! This book study is really making me stop and reflect how I look at illustrations. I'm glad you came by!

      Monica

      Delete
  8. "Actual Size" looks like such a great book. I'm going to have pick it up. I think allowing the students the opportunity to share will really help them enhance their work and create a sense of urgency. Great Post! I'm a new follower.
    ~Andi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, one year we did an author study on Steve Jenkins. His books are great for teaching non-fiction in a fun and interesting way for the kiddos. The amount of facts they glean from his books is amazing. I had them pick an animal, do some research on it, and draw one body part "actual size". It was great!

      I have learned "share time" is so important for many reasons. Like you said, it also helps to create the "urgency" to get started with their work because they all want to share at the end. I appreciate your comments :)

      Monica

      Delete