Monday, February 6, 2012

Recovering from the Super Bowl

I don't know about you, but it seemed like a few most of my kiddos stayed up late to watch the NY Giants defeat the New England Patriots last night. They were lethargic and quiet most of the day - seriously not my usually energetic bunch of first graders :) 

After a morning greeting of "You Are My Sunshine" (we have specials the first hour of the day - which makes for a looong continuous academic day) that they were just taught in music class, the yawning began (and not from me).

Although it worked in my favor while I snuck in a couple of DRA assessments during their Daily 5 time, the tiredness loomed, and two of my students even fell asleep during draft book writing. I am going to blame it on the "thinking music" that was quietly playing in the background. Thank goodness I didn't have any walk-throughs at that time. 

It was even more evident that my students were not there normal selves when they were asked to sort and graph (paper) critters during math. They were allowed to color and decide the sorting criteria to their liking (let me tell you, we don't spend a whole lot of time "coloring" so that is usually a treat), but their attention still waned.  

I drove home feeling like I just didn't make the impact that I wanted to today, and then I checked my mailbox. 

Low and behold, all is good in the world again!

I would love to hear about your favorite pick-me-up after a day that did not go as planned (which could quite possibly be any day of the week).

No comments:

Post a Comment